This post is very overdue.
Several weeks ago, Beloved Wife headed off for a weekend of Grrrl Power, leaving NatureBoy and me to our own devices (buwa-ha-ha-ha!). We dropped into the friendly neighborbood gaming store to see what was going on for Free RPG Day. We were a little disappointed because no one was running any games. Of course, I didn’t step up and volunteer to run anything either. We did pick up some of the free modules and demo give-aways, however, and a friend ran a game of Munchkin for us. That was fun; thankers Tyler!
On the way home we decided that this was the weekend we would make Boffer Swords. Now, I have looked at boffer sword construction sites on and off for over a year, but I hadn’t found any that looked sturdy enough. Then we found the Sword Tag site on the list of links at the wikipedia boffer site. We had been studying these instructions for about a week, and I knew what materials we would need.
So we stopped at the friendly neighborhood hardware store and picked up 1/2-inch CPVC pipe, pipe insulation, fiberglass rods, duct tape (in several colors!), spray adhesive, and a couple other things. We then spent about four hours on Saturday afternoon and evening, and four or more on Sunday afternoon putting the swords together.
The most of the following pictures were taken with the crappy camera in my Treo 700w. But they serve to document the process…
We set up my laptop nearby for easy reference, and got to work. NB carefully measured his materials and cut the PVC himself.
Here are the sword cores. Note that there are three. We made a third just in case…
We completed the cross guards (almost complete on sword number three) on Saturday evening.
We got back to work on Sunday afternoon. NB has built his grip and pommel, wrapped the grip with yarn and is applying black tape to the pommel and crossguard.
Then he moved on to the blade. He chose to use the broadsword style from the swordtag site.
Here’s NB’s completed sword and mine with the completed hilt.
NB decided that his sword needed some magic runes like Orcrist and Glamdring.
Here are the two completed swords. Mine follows the standard basic sword techique.
And now we get to work out all that kid-parent angst.
NB completed the third sword with a custom design; the blade flares close to the hilt. And here’s why we needed a third sword…
A third sword also worked well for NB’s birthday party…
These are very fun, and a good way to get in some physical activity.